How to Make: Avocado and Poached Egg on Toast
Contributed by: @Saffron.Bloom
Avocado and Poached Egg on Toast is a very simple and quick meal to make. It’s frequently found on brunch menus but can also be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner and can be bulked up accordingly with chorizo, chicken or any type of meat on the side as well as goats cheese, tomatoes etc. I make this meal usually when I get home in the evenings and need something to eat almost instantly.
1 (or 2) eggs
1 medium ripe avocado
1/2 a lime
Bread (French, sourdough or whatever you prefer)
1. Poach the egg(s). There are various ways to this. I use an egg poacher. If you don’t have one, here’s a video on how to do it with water and vinegar.
2. In the meantime, cut the avocado in half, de-stone, scoop out the flesh and put into a bowl.
3. Squeeze about half of the 1/2 lime on the avocado, add a pinch of salt, black pepper, garlic powder each, and chilli flakes according to your desired spice level.
4. Use a fork to mash the avocado up until it resembles:
5. Have a taste. You may need to add more lime juice, salt, black pepper, garlic powder. (Don’t forget to check on your egg!).
6. Toast bread.
7. Spread the avocado onto the toast.
8. Put the poached egg on top.
This recipe is great to use as a base. You might find that you want to use a different method of cooking the egg such as scrambling, frying, or boiling and then cutting it into chunks. Or maybe you’d like to leave the egg out altogether. You could add fresh coriander, red onions and/or spring onions to the mashed avocado. If you want an alternative to bread you could have a jacket potato topped with the mashed avocado and some meat on the side. The possibilities are endless.
Be sure to let me know if you’ve tried the recipe in the comments below.
**Editor's Note: Nadia is one of our regular travel bloggers so we were delighted to receive a food post from her. Do check out her previous posts: Essential for Travellers | 3 FREE Useful Travel Apps & Choosing 5 Star Travel Buddies. For more food recipes, check out How to Make: Pan Fried Salmon with Mediterranean Couscous and Cucumber Salad & 3 Simple & Healthy Dishes You Can Make At Home. If you've got a recipe you think the world should know, get in contact with us about being a contributor!