From the Pod: The Business of Being Black (ep. 023)
Contributed by: Ade Akins
Black Ballad is a UK based lifestyle platform that seeks to tell the human experience through eyes of black British women.
Episode Discussion Points
- How Black Ballad came to fruition
- Working with your partner: balancing love and business
- Putting in the work to get where you want to be
- The black British business ecosystem
- Why Black Ballad isn't for black men
- Working twice as hard to be just as good as non-black-owned businesses
- Making the Forbes List
- Knowing your worth
- Wanting to quit Black Ballad
- Importance of failure
- Businesses making tokens of black culture (Rap Radar & Puma House of Hustle)
3 Key Tips Worth Sharing
As a founder of a black-owned business and an advocate of supporting other black-owned businesses in the UK, we knew that this conversation would be full of gems. Here are three of our favourites:
1. Before launching your own business, save as much as possible to do as much as possible.
2. Don't underestimate your team. Work with people who are more talented than you but just as humble.
3. As a startup, know that you do everything. Be prepared for long nights and lack of sleep. Be prepared to sacrifice.