From the Pod: So You Want to Be a Freelancer? (ep. 022)
Contributed by Ade Akins
In episode 022 of the #AdzvicePodcast, Bonita and I were joined by Andrew Akinyede, full-time graphic designer, content creator, father, husband and founder of Cakebox Creative.
Cakebox Creative is a graphic design & digital marketing company specialising in logo design and brand identity.
Episode Discussion Points
- Starting his business
- Seizing the opportunity
- Looking at the signs / taking a risk
- Getting clients
- Utilising the internet
- Paid advertising
- Creating buying responses online
- Personal and financial discipline
- 3 stages of business
- Considering a return to full-time employment
- Being self-employed and the effects on relationships
3 Key Tips Worth Sharing
Andrew is a living legend when it comes to this topic and he's now put himself in a place where he has a steady flow of new business coming in. Below is just a few of the golden nuggets he dropped:
1. Be really honest with yourself and see if you can actually find business. Do you have those skills?
2. Don't sleep on the importance of digital skills and utilising the internet. The phone is the first port of call for customers nowadays.
3. Have a clear vision of what your brand is going to stand for. If you don't have these skills, invest in someone who can help you with this.